OKEANOS TECHNOLOGIES WAS FOUNDED ON THE BELIEF THAT THE WORLD NEEDS A NEW CLEAN-ENERGY DESALINATION FUTURE AND THAT ARRIVING AT THIS FUTURE WILL REQUIRE MASSIVELY PARALLEL DESALINATION (MPD)].
We believe the evolution of desalination technology requires a completely new way of thinking. Rather than reflexive, incremental improvements to existing but fundamentally inefficient technology platforms, we need to re-conceptualize the entire problem from different scales of perspective, using entirely new approaches and alternative modes of engineering.
Okeanos Technologies is the first to have done this.
The Okeanos WaterChip™ is a solid-state, Massively Paralleled Desalination (MPD) platform that employs a newly characterized, patent-pending micro-electrochemical process to desalinate with radical energy-efficiency. We desalinate millionths of a liter at a time – that is, we “Microdesalinate” – and we do this using tiny microstructures, which are then massively paralleled to produce useful water flows. Desalination in tiny volumes allows us exploit a form of energy that simply cannot be generated in “macroscale” (e.g. liters of space). This form of energy is called an “electrochemical field gradient” and using it to do the “work” of desalination is advantageous because this work is limited by electron rather than ion-transfer kinetics, making it far more efficient than those processes that function in the dimensions of space you are used to thinking about - such as Reverse Osmosis, Electrodialysis or heat/evaporative based methods.
To put all of this another way, we are in essence exploiting the power of the electron to harness and redirect the built-in, corrosive energy of seawater towards the useful task of desalination, and we do this in very tiny volumes.
BENEFITS OF WATERCHIP™ TECHNOLOGY:
- COST-EFFECTIVENESS – World-record desalination efficiency = dramatic reduction in operational expenses.
- RELEVANCE – Cost-effective desalination will provide profound economic, political, environmental and humanitarian benefits across the globe.
- ELEGANCE – Operation without extreme hydraulic pressures, massive electrical currents or intense heat sources make for simple, compact installations with small system footprint.
- CLEANLINESS – Operation on alternative energy sources, and/or reduced burden on dirty, coal-powered grid energy results in direct environmental benefits.
- Pretreatment. No membranes means minimal pretreatment required other than basic sedimentation. Elimination of the need for chemicals, filters, treatment ponds etc. results in massive capital and effective operational savings.
- Post treatment. No post treatment required. Complete disinfection, de-boronation, and heavy metals removal without the use of chemicals, which have to be added and then removed with other technologies in expensive (capex/opex) multi-stage processes.
- Maintenance. No membranes also means no fouling and the minimization of maintenance capital and labor.
- Operating expense scales linearly with output rates – unlike other technologies which require massive operational economies of scale and capital accessories (e.g. energy recovery systems) to reach what might loosely be called “economic competitiveness”.
- Highly modular framework – systems to address from small to large scale (e.g. municipal) needs.
- FLEXIBILITY – On demand programmability for seawater vs. brackish waters means no need for source water dependent configuration/equipment, further enhancing effective operating efficiencies.
- Bacteria, viruses and particulates are removed as efficiently as salt, without the use of expensive and cumbersome coagulants or chemicals.
- On demand monitoring of system performance in real time
- DURABILITY – no moving parts, no extreme operating conditions (e.g. hydraulic pressures or voltages).
- MANUFACTURABILITY – recent advances in microelectronics fabrication and proprietary designs translate into capital (e.g. system purchase) expenses on par with today’s technologies.